Romance at Fault


By Amy Batey

Is it too much to ask of you to hold me?
To press against my side and unfold me?

Is it too much to ask for privacy?
To deny that I have a vacancy?

Oh woe is me! I have a hole in me.
A shallow pit that only we can see.

If we cover it with dirt, will it go?
What kind of digging will force what to show?

God, I don´t know!

I think if I spill out onto the floor,
it will be fowl and viscous blood that pours!

Must I hide all my bite marks and bruises
from every single one of my muses?

All just so I can grin, laugh and smile
and we can be together for a while?

It's fine, I´ll put my feelings up like twine! 
But this longing makes me want to whine!

Watch it go! As if anyone would know.
But you do somehow, and it bothers me so.

God, I don't know!

How long can I wear this lying mask?
Am I a doll or a puppet, you ask?

Well, maybe we'll find out when I shatter
As my lies and image only grow fatter

When I say that it pains me to excuse you.

You might also like...