My Sadness Is A Waterfall

by Madeline Farrar


I want them to see me 

The person I have become

To see me graduate

To tell them

I made it farther than them

I want them to love me 

My sadness is a waterfall

I remember the hard chair

My parents sitting in front of me

Their faces grim

I remember the raindrops falling from my eyes

Losing someone i never knew

I remember asking

"Will she come for me?"

They avoid looking at me 

"No she won't come."

I remember the raindrops falling again

My sadness is a waterfall

My sadness is a waterfall

Rushing over the edge

Descending into the sharp rocks below

Other times the waterfall is frozen

A cascade of crystals

Cold and hard

Frozen in place

My sadness is a waterfall

I used to hate them 

For leaving me

I understand now

Why they did 

They hoped to give me a better future

A future with a good family

A family that could support me

Sometimes I imagine my life with them 

A happy family 

A family sitting in the living room laughing 

It wouldn't be a perfect family 

But it would be my family

My sadness is a waterfall

You might also like...