Unknown Dead

  By Sebastian Martian

 I took in a sharp breath as I regained consciousness. I quickly looked around and saw I was alone. Those sick, undead bastards had moved on already. I don't know where they went, only them charging at me, then hitting the ground and darkness. I started to stand up and felt a stiffness that wasn't there before. The cool sensation of blood running down my leg was the first thing I noticed. I was about to search for the source when I heard the low moaning of zombies headed my way. 
     Working on instinct alone I headed towards the door. The stiffness I felt was taking it's toll as my usual speed was gone, replaced by this slow awkward gait. I hobbled out the warehouse and quickly saw my pursuers had no interest me. 
     Which was odd as I thought about it a while after. I settled on the reason that they must have heard some other noise that I didn't hear and was following that. As I was thinking about this, I realized that I was starving. I grabbed my bag and pulled out the canned peaches I found three weeks ago. Without thinking I gluped down the can...only to puke them out right after. I rationalized this thinking it was an after affect of the adrenaline and my stomach was somehow weak because of it. I was still starving though.
     ***
     I've been shuffling aimlessly now for a few hours. I can't remember where I was going before the blackout. Hell, I barely know where I am now. I only feel the gnawing of my stomach. I feel sick all over. I've puked up everything in my stomach already. But hope came soon.
     A group of survivors came out from between two buildings. I should have said "Hello". I should have hid behind the overturned car. I should have thought about what to do, but I didn't. I could faintly heard the cry of "another one there!" over my own animistic snarl. They reached for their guns, but I all I noticed was my lunge for their flesh. That's all I know now.

You might also like...