Late Night Messages


By Hailey Baker


I shove my time card into the clock.
9:06
Closing early is great, when you have a car.
I pull my phone out of my pocket to call my mom, when I realize i have a message waiting. I open my messenger app, to find that it is from Alex.
"... I'm sorry"
"For what?" I type back, shoving my phone in my jacket pocket as I walk outside and sit on a bench.
Ding!
"For everything..."
"???"
"It's nothing, I'm stupid, I'm sorry."
I shake my head, my mind races and I quickly type back,
"Talk to me."
"No, it's stupid and you'll probably get mad."
"I promise I wont, if it's bothering you, it probably isn't stupid. If you don't tell me now, my mind will go crazy and my anxiety is already through the roof."
I wait for what feels like hours and stare at Alex is typing...
 until my heart drops...
"I fucking miss you."

You might also like...