Pink Ribbons

By: Maddy Zelms

I see the pain whispering in your eyes;
You’re resisting; Saying “I’m fine;”
Three words they’re lies.
I sit beside you; I am there,
Remembering the times we’ve shared.                                                                                 
All I hear is beeping and screeching,
In a daze, pleasantly sleeping.
Your mind is blank, so brave, and tough,           
our time together was not enough.
It struck you hard so rough and fast;
not knowing which breathe would be your last.   
Not one tear has yet been shed;
I wish you could choose to stay here instead.
I look into your cold, crisp eyes.
Your face is pale; your skin so frail,     
when you talk your voice is shaking.
You know what's come and so do I,     
but I don’t want to say “Goodbye.”
Your body grows weak
your legs fall with a thud
forever now your eyes will stay shut
The beeping stops
It’s just a line,
you’re barely breathing,
it was time.
The sobbing starts,
broken hearts,
tears crash to the ground.
So it took you
now you’re gone 
your fight was long,
but it was strong.

You might also like...