Papers


By Natalie Major

     The moon was our only source of light as we walked.  It lit the rock ridden path as our feet found their way across.  What little we had brought with us suddenly felt heavy on our arms. I tried to pull my jacket in closer as a breeze blew across the land. We had been traveling for days trusting the directions we were told.  The moon had glowed three nights and the sun rose four reassuring us that we would make it to safety soon.  The soles on my shoes were beginning to tear so I tried to walk faster to save them.  I knelt down to feel the ground making sure it was cool before I slid my sandals off.     
     I continued to walk barefoot on the rough ground below me when I suddenly felt it shake.  I look up and over to my partner as we ran behind a couple of tall plants.  The horses heavy hooves got closer faster and faster.  They stopped near the spot that we had last been.  The riders hopped off the backs of the heavy breathing horses.  One of them bent over and picked something up.  They held it up high in the air to show the others.  I notice that it is a pair of sandals.  I quickly rip open my backpack making sure that I still had mine.  I look back up at the sandals.  Those are mine.
     I look at my partner and motion that we need to move.  We start to crawl backwards towards a little town.  The men get back on their horses and ride off in four different directions.  One of them is headed straight towards us.  We get up and start to run.  I knew we wouldn't be able to out run the horse, but we hoped for the best.  The horse cut us off and behind us the other horsemen were riding our way.  The horseman in front of made us get onto our knees.  The other men got to us and the man with the sandals came and stood in front of us.
     "Do these belong to one of you?"  He asks. 
     We both just sit there staring at the ground.
     "Okay,  Let me see your papers."  
     My partner pulled his backpack around to the front of him.  While he is digging I notice the wedding ring on his left hand fall onto the ground emitting a tiny puff of dust.  He finds the papers and hands them to the man.  While the man looks over the papers my partner turns to me and whispers. "I love you.  If anything happens keep moving to freedom."  As he finishes the man with our papers slaps him.  A way of saying shut up.  
     "Well your papers are cleared." He says looking at me.  Then turns to my partner. My partner grabs my hand and squeezes it tightly.  "Your papers are fake.  You will be coming with us."  He says then grabs my partner and ties his hands together.  He put him onto one of the horses and they ride off. 
       I never saw my husband again.

You might also like...