Letter To an Exboyfriend


By Tava Meyer

Excuse me, ex boyfriend;
I have a bone to pick with you, 
For example, did you really think that you owned my body 
Just because you fondled it?
Or how about my beauty, 
Since you actually acknowledged it?
And my intellect must belong to you for you heard it louder.
What about my innocence, is that all yours too? 
Because the only interest you had in me
Was that my body belonged to you.

Excuse me, ex boyfriend;
Do you want an applause 
for the way you were so exquisitely plain? 
I was raised to believe that I would get roses and slam poetry
And don't forget the cute messages left from you to me
But the only flowers involved were the ones that you plucked from my body 
and crumpled when I looked away for a moment 
And the only messages I ever received were
"hey baby, send some pictures, you know what I wanna see"
I was so young, how should I have known what you needed? 
And still relentlessly you begged and you pleaded 
And I pitied you for being so desperate.

Excuse me, ex boyfriend; 
Send your new girlfriend an apology from me
For she will have to put up with you the same way I did
And it will break her
The same way it broke me
I am sure you will ruin her body and her mind
You will rip flowers from between her legs 
When in reality you should have been pulling the weeds from her head
You will hinder her instead of helping her growth 
The same way you cut me down to the bones 
But I am done with your games I have left you I'm gone
But you'll still try and tear others apart 
And maybe I can do nothing about it 
But I will not sit here, be yours, or take part.

You might also like...