Sleep Is Beautiful

Sleep Is Beautiful
By Valerie Robertson




     "It's almost Christmas, I can't wait to see daddy, he hasn't been home for months." Kylie's phone rings. "Hey Daddy, when are you coming home?"
"I'm sorry baby... I can't daddy has to work." 
"Okay."
"I'll be home for new years, I promise, I love you and tell your sister I love her too."
"Okay daddy love you..."
"Bye baby."
He hung up the phone, he didn't have to work, I asked his boss if he was off.
2 Months Later
      "Kylie stop crying, why are you crying? You are just being dramatic." "Nothing is going to happen." 
     "You don't know that Cameron, leave me alone, I can be sad and upset if I want, I am human, I have a heart, unlike you."
     "What ever, you're just being stupi-"
     "No!" I scream,"don't say that, just because I'm scared that dad is in a coma and we don't know if he will wake up does not mean I'm acting a fool or being dramatic, it means I am scared, and that is a normal human emotion." "It's you that has the problem, you have no emotion, that's not healthy."
     "Well, sorry... It's just easier this way."
     My face got a little red in anger and from the fact that I was trying to stop crying, "how is that easier?"
"I don't know Kylie, it just is."
"Well fine, you be that way, and let me deal with this my own way."
"Okay, but I have one question."
"Yea."
"Why are you so attached to him? He was never even there for us."
"I know that Cam, but he is still our father and two wrongs don't make a right."
     My face wasn't red anymore, I calmed down a bit. I was still upset, but I could manage. All I know is I will be here for him when he wakes up. I know he wasn't there for us, but I'll be there for him. I know Cameron has a point, but I still love him. And that's okay, I'm supposed to put family first. I can't handle all this in one day, I'm going to bed. "Goodnight Daddy, I love you" I kissed his forehead. 
     When I got to my hotel room I walked out on the balcony and stared at the glowing blue moon. I guess I kinda lost track of time because I just kept thinking of things that could go wrong. I kept drifting into weird places. some of them were an escape, and I wish I could've stayed there longer. Those were ruined by other thoughts. It got colder out, I needed to go in, but I just couldn't leave. I could think clearly there. I got up and walked in and slid the glass door shut. Sleep is a beautiful thing, I thought to myself, or was it?
     "Where am I?" I asked as I got off of the white ground and looked up to see nothing more but white, white everywhere. "You're here Kylie." I looked up to see my dad's face and he offered his hand to help me up. As I took his hand I asked him "where daddy, and how are you here, are you okay daddy, are we okay, are we-"
     "No Kylie we are not dead, you are dreaming." He disappeared, "daddy come back, dad where did you go?"
     It was all white again, I sat down and yelled, "come back." I woke up in a cold sweat, I was breathing hard. I got out of bed in a hurry and got dressed and ran to the hospital. 
     I walked into his room in a hurry, "good morning daddy." I kissed his forehead. "How are you feeling?" As I put my hand on his arm and looked down at his pale face I heard some noise, it was everywhere, people were rushing into the room. Doctors and nurses started screaming at each other. I heard three key words and ran out of the room to call Cameron. "His heart stopped."

You might also like...