Leaving

By Hailey Baker

"What are we fighting for Allie?"

She hissed at me through clenched teeth.
I stare blankly at her from across the room and wrap my fingers around her cell phone.

"Why even bother anymore? What's the point of even speaking to each other?"

Her words lack all compassion towards me.
I can't even begin to form a rebuttal when she snarls yet again,

"I can't live under the same roof as you. Ever since you came home, you've been on my case day in and day out, I can't handle-"

"You're the one that cheated on me!"

I lash out of rage, stopping her in her tracks.

"You're the one that cheated! I didn't have to come back, you begged me to! I can't sleep beside you anymore, you disgust me. I can't even look you in the eyes without seeing the look on your face as he was pile driving you into next week!"

My words left her speechless for moments in between my fits of rage, so I continued,

"It'll never happen again, remember? That's what you told me? But here we are,"

"I haven't done anything!"

"Then why are you messaging him late at night, huh? When I'm 'asleep' next to you, why are you still talking to him then?" 

She stared down at her feet, trying to form an excuse, anything to keep me, but by now, I'm finally done.

"If you don't want to fight for this anymore, that is fine with me. I. Don't. Care."

I push past her and into our bedroom, the same room I caught her cheating almost a year ago.  
I throw a suit case on the bed violently and yanked my clothes from the hangers.

"Wait.. please.."

"No Samantha, I'm gone."

"Please Allie..."

"No, you want to be with a man, be with a man."

I close my suitcase and walk to the doorway she is blocking,

"If you don't let me leave now we will have a problem."

She held a blank stare to the floor as she shuffled to the side.
I'm leaving my home, I'm leaving her. Eight years, wasted.
Eight years, eight long, painful years.
All the chemistry, love, heartache.
Eight years I'll never get back.
I don't want them back.
Just like I don't want her.
I slam the door on that thought, and begin my life a new. 

You might also like...